The color white encourages fresh beginnings.
Motivation for Organization
The color white can help motivate you to clear clutter.
Color Psychology: White
Understanding how color affects our world.
- by Kate Smith
The color white projects purity, cleanliness and neutrality. Doctors usually wear white coats, brides traditionally wear white gowns and a white picket fence surrounds a safe and happy home.
The color white affects us physically by:
- Promoting mental clarity
- Persuading us to clear clutter or obstacles
- Evoking pure thoughts or actions
- Encouraging fresh beginnings
White in the Garden
White is considered a neutral color in landscape design. White can brighten up a garden. It’s a good choice for dark areas and makes a good background color. Most white and pale-colored flowers are more strongly scented than their darker counterparts.
Unique Facts about White
- White is the best selling color for the classic T-shirt.
- More shades of white are available commercially than any other color.
- White clothing typically becomes translucent when wet.
- The appearance of white in a dream is thought to represent happiness at home; white castles are a symbol of achievement, destiny and spiritual perfection.
- White became the preferred lab coat color for scientists and medical professionals in the late 19th century. The color is thought to improve hope and expectations for results, healing and recovery.
- Driving a white car suggests you may be fastidious.
Popular phrases and quotes that include white are:
- White Christmas: the appearance of snow on Christmas day
- White elephant: a possession that no longer holds value for its owner
- White flag: the signal of a peaceful surrender
- White goods: a description of household items such as linens, towels and appliances
- White hot: extreme manner of intensity
- White lie: a harmless untruth usually told out of politeness
- White sauce: a sauce made from stock, butter, flour and seasonings
- White feather: a symbol of cowardice
- “Never use pure white; it doesn’t exist in nature.” Aldro T. Hibbard
- “White covers a multitude of sins.” Jonathan Milne
- “The first of all single colors is white. We shall set down white for the representative of light, without which no color can be seen.” Leonardo Da Vinci
- “Nights in White Satin” by the Moody Blues
- “White Men in Black Suits” by Everclear
- “White on White” by Danny Williams
- “White Queen” by Queen
- “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane
- “White Riot” by The Clash
- “White Room” by Alisha’s Attic
- “White Room” by Cream
- “White Wedding” by Billy Idol
- “Whiter Shade of Pale” by Procol Harum
White Around the World
Throughout history, cultures around the world have associated white with purity and hope.
- In China and parts of Africa, white is a color of mourning.
- A white flag is universally recognized as a symbol of truce.
- The Japanese have six different terms to describe the color white.
- Greeks historically wore white to bed to ensure pleasant dreams.