If your current mattress is 5-7 years old, it may be time for a new one. Photo: Sealy
What to Look for in a Mattress
- Comfort: You’ll sleep best when your bed helps you feel cradled in comfort, cozy and secure.
- Support: A good mattress and foundation will gently support your body at all points and keep your spine in the same shape as a person with good standing posture.
- Durability: It’s the quality of the materials used and how they’re put together that determine how long a mattress and foundation will last.
- Space: You need freedom of motion while you sleep and to help you relax while getting to sleep. If you sleep with a partner, be sure to select queen or king size.
Time to Retire Your Old Mattress?
If you’ve been tossing and turning, it may be time to toss out your old mattress.
- by Trisha Kemerly
With most products, it’s fairly obvious when a replacement is needed. If it no longer works or has signs of wear and tear that impair its ability, you know its time for a new one. However, realizing that it is time for a new mattress and foundation isn’t always so obvious.
“Similar to your favorite old chair or worn pair of shoes, your mattress can still feel comfortable long after it has lost its ability to provide your body with the proper support and comfort it needs,” says Karin Mahoney, director of communications for the Better Sleep Council. “Because sleep is so critical to our ability to function and feel our best, it is important to evaluate your sleep set on a regular basis.”
The Better Sleep Council lists the following as signs that you may need a new mattress and boxspring:
- You wake up with stiffness, numbness, aches and pains.
- You had a better night’s sleep somewhere other than your own bed (such as a hotel).
- Your mattress shows visible signs of overuse (it sags, has lumps, the interior is exposed, etc.).
- Your mattress is 5-7 years old (How long a mattress will last depends on several factors, such as amount of use and original quality, but in general, a mattress set that has been in use 5-7 years is no longer providing you with the best comfort and support).
Shopping for Mattresses
Shopping for a new mattress can be a hassle if you’re not sure what you’re looking for. On the other hand, a new mattress can improve the quality of your sleep, and your overall health, so it’s definitely worth finding the right one.
The best way to ensure you’re a satisfied customer is to shop at a store you know and trust to give you good information, good service and top-quality products.
“When comparing, remember that a ‘bargain’ mattress and foundation are no bargain when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep,” Mahoney advises. “Shop for the best value, not the lowest price. And, buy the best you can afford.”
Considering that you’ll probably be using your bed more than any other product you own—including your car, TV, computer or cell phone—the mattress you sleep on is one of the best cost-per-day values on the market today.